Sunday, February 11, 2018

Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile...!

Today is not a day of 'Remembrance Day' or 'Veteran's Day' or even 'Poppy Day', yet we all agree that for soldiers who are day and night on the borders protecting us and letting us live peacefully is something we forget to thank everyday!


Being raised in National Defense Academy (NDA), Khadakwasla Pune, I feel extremely proud for the people who willingly decide to join the forces because of patriotism and in this they lose their life too. Yet, the craziness of patriotism takes them beyond death or any such fear. I have huge respect for them and when I say this my heart and eyes fills with tears out of love for them and their families.

"Born to fight, Trained to kill, Prepared to die, but never will!"

I too have family members who are in army such as my late uncle Narayanan Nair and now his son my cousin Abhilash Nair who has been posted at difficult areas and when I say difficult it is at the borders of Siachen where it's piled with snow and due to the huge mountains even getting any help such as food and other grocery materials is difficult and takes months to reach. Sometimes it's the weather and at times the firing is taking place and it's not safe for the army to deliver food and water to these forces who are at the border keeping us safe.

Siachen Glaciers

"Soldiers sacrifice their life for their nation. It doesn't mean that they don't want to live"

I know my cousin had to go through difficult times in life at this young age, when his dad was not well. One can only imagine how tough one has to be to focus at the border and not think of your ailing dad. He used to apply for leave and it used to get rejected because of the duty that he was in.
I am sure my cousin had gone through times when he must have felt like to leave the job and be at his father's service but then there's always that bigger service we end up with when it comes to your country and its people.
Kargil Area

It was tough for him when he used to get notified by his family that dad is at his last stage and then some miracle would happen and he would get discharged from hospital. He did take leave and come and spent time with his ailing dad. But in going through all this pain he didn't lose his focus and dedication towards his work and he did a great job. He was returning back to work from his leave and only to hear that his Dad has left this world. It pained me as he was my uncle and I can only imagine what he must have been going through. That's the life of a soldier no matter what happens at home your duty is to serve and he did a good job on that.

My Cousin Receiving 'Best Soldier' award

It was such a proud moment to hear that he was awarded "Best Soldier in Kargil Brigade".
It's not easy when one hears that they son or relatives or anyone to that matter is posted in Kargil specially after the 1999 Kargil War where lot of people died from both sides. It's a sad feeling. Yet my cousin went there and did his job fearlessly with all dedication. I salute him !!!!

"Appreciation goes a long way as a motivator"

I am sure his dad is not here in this world but he is watching him from far and blessing him.

May my uncle rest in peace and my cousin keep rocking !!!

"Life is about creating your own happiness and before you know it, blessings of love will find their way into your heart" ~ Brigitte Nicole

Jai Hind!!!

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...