Thursday, October 07, 2021

Ask for help not because you’re weak, but because you want to remain strong!

 

Today I am going to talk about Help! It's a small word but very powerful and yet many hesitate to ask.

"You are never strong enough that you don't need help." ~ Cesar Chavez 

This word you can use anywhere when you need it and when I say anywhere, what I mean is at work, and at home as well. Many times we go through so much in life that we forget that we can ask for help. There is no one who will judge you because at the end when they hear why we are asking for help let's hope they will get the idea behind it.

I have reached at a level in my career where I know what needs to be done to manage the release work on time. But then I want to learn more. Lately, we are working from home and because of that we don't see our colleagues anymore. At the most its on the slack where we will ask for each other's well being or if they are part of your team then you're just meeting virtually online and then you don't bother with anything else. It has become a routine to run after the release one after the other and other...!

I am getting bored of this routine and hence I have been wondering to learn something new. But each time I look at things, it is outside of my work like a theory but practical is the only way I can learn and if that is done at work what best do I need then. It will make more sense for me and I will be able to learn in true sense being a visual learner. I have been going from website to website and trying to see what I can learn being in my current role which will enhance my skills.

"Don't let your fear of being judged stop you from asking for help when you need it."


I also thought about reaching out to someone at work, in my team who can just allow me to watch them doing and I can ask questions wherever I have doubts. But then I was a bit hesitant and this thought has been in my mind for weeks and months. Nothing was coming out and I was getting restless. When my one on one meeting came with my manager, she asked how is that going? Did you ask if you can watch them and learn from it? And my immediate response was that, no I am going to ask.

"You can do anything but not everything." ~ David Allen

I don't know why I was hesitating because in my mind I was giving all kinds of reasoning what if? So these thoughts kept me away from asking.

Today when I was on my walk I said to myself, I am going to ask and see what they say. In my mind somewhere I was hesitating because I thought they will say no? or it will be a dilemma for them to accommodate this request of mine etc.. !

After my walk, came back had my lunch and I straight away pinged my team member and asked for help.

I was eagerly waiting for a response but you know how things happen? The more you're eager the more delay in response and that increases the suspense altogether. Anyhow, I just walked away from my desk and watered the plants in my backyard and refilled the bird-bath and came back to my desk. To my surprise the answer was sure, that's not a problem.

You see, I was hesitating for something which should not be my concern and for that matter I delayed it for weeks and months. This is about my personal growth but let me tell you this can be for anything.

"Sometimes the loudest cries for help are silent." ~ Harlan Coben

This October month is for so many national awareness month, some in the world and some in specific countries. There's one for breast cancer awareness and the other is domestic violence awareness and I feel in both these cases  please seek help. Don't be under the assumption that it feels okay and so I am okay. 

Please when in doubt, just ask and answer will be this way or that way but at least you will be clear in mind and be relieved that you asked for help! Nothing is too late when we ask for help or advice and you can make choice out of it that's better for you, for your own good.

So my women friends,  please make sure you go for your annual mammogram, you can ask for it. And if you're going through emotional violence it is domestic violence so please seek help. 

"Find your happiness and independence first only then you can give happiness to your loved ones." ~ Dawn

~ Dawn

Note: Now you can listen to the audio version of my blogs in Hindi on the UshaDawn Hindi Podcast on Google, Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Check it out and new episodes uploaded every day 3 AM Pacific Standard Time

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...