Saturday, October 09, 2021

Spiritually, life is a festival, a celebration :-)

It's Indian festival season, and it's called Navratri (nine nights) in the honor of the divine feminine Devi Durga. This festival usually falls in September or October based on the Hindu Calendar. It is celebrated in different ways in different regions of India.


Anyhow, for me festivals meant more or less understanding the culture, food, gatherings, dance and fun overall. I know it will sound strange that it is religious festivals and how come I am not bringing any of those here.

"To celebrate a festival means; to live out, for some special occasion and in an uncommon manner, the universal assent to the world as a whole." ~ Josef Pieper

I have always been attracted towards the cultural aspect of it and not by any religion. I come from a secular country and hence I have always believed in humanity. As a kid growing up, I had my neighbors who were Christians - Catholics and Pentecostals, Hindus, Muslims, Sikh, Jain, etc,. My parents never forced me into any religion, in fact when my neighbor was alone I used to give company to her, sometimes read Bible for her or go to church with her. It was never considered as wrong.

Being there I have read Old Testament and New Testament and I have read Quran, Geeta, Gurugranth Saheb and all religion teaches to love one another. But I love these festivals for its main outcome where we all gather and celebrate life.


During these times, women get to dress up in Saree and being a saree lover I always love these nine days. These nine days has it's own significance for each day. And one of the days is celebrating Durga, where women play with red powder - kind of holi festival. Instead of color here it will be red colored powdered which women will apply to each other and celebrate Devi Durga. Though it is said only married women are supposed to play with the red powder but I believe every women has the right to play with this red colored powder, there is no discrimination. But yes, in the olden days people had their ways how to discriminate the windows verses married women. It's patriarchy that dictates and hence married women has more power. There is lot of orthodox believes that come with it too and some really believe and follow these. I am only scared for them for thinking and believing like this. 

When religious festivals bring us together then why fight with each other for religion? 

"Religion is like a pair of shoe..find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes." ~ George Carlin

I thought religion, festival all these are for us to come together and share the culture, food and company. So, enjoying these nine days by wearing nine different colored saree's each day based on the preference for that particular day. The best thing during these days is about the food and sweets and getting dressed up and enjoying with friends.

Life is short so enjoy every moment 😍 instead of spending time in hating each other.

~ Dawn 

Note: Now you can listen to the audio version of my blogs in Hindi on the UshaDawn Hindi Podcast on Google, Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Check it out and new episodes uploaded every day 3 AM Pacific Standard Time

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...