Monday, October 18, 2021

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Today I am going to talk about an incident that took place while I was in tenth grade. Some mischiefs that we do when we are young, and it puts an impression for life long. I remember it was our inter-school field hockey competition and we were actually visiting the other school this time.


We caught the Pune Municipal Corporation public transport bus and along with the team our sports teacher Mrs. Bose was also accompanying us. Mrs. Bose told us before leaving the school ground, that if we win the game with other schools, then she is going to take us to a big expensive restaurant for lunch and everyone got excited. This was teams first trip to go out of the home ground and play otherwise, usually our school is always the host.

We reached the host's school ground and got introduced to the scorer, selector and coaches and teachers of other schools and went back to our seating area. After looking at the lists and exchanging the team players names with the main scorer and selector, our teacher came and said, girls are you ready to win? and we all roared in one chorus yeah!!!!!


Everyone took their position, I was at left center half position and we played like a team. Team was very good in passing and I was always the one who was fast in hitting the ball so as soon the ball came to me I hit it and it was a goal!!!! Everyone cheered us and we team hugged and back to work, our opponent team was not happy and they started playing foul by hitting with the hockey stick left and right. Some got the warning and some got out of the team but we did get injured. I still remember after that win when we gathered and my school teacher said to me you have been selected as I saw your name on the list, I was on ninth cloud and suddenly my teacher said where's that blood coming from, on your shoe? It was a white colored shoe and a drop of blood fell on it and I didn't realize that I was hit by that hockey stick and the blood was coming from my right hand thumb. 

"Grown ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets." ~ Roald Dahl 

Immediately first-aid was arranged and everything was taken care. We were done here and were supposed to be out for lunch so everyone was happy. After a great lunch at the restaurant we headed to go back to our school and then home. As we all were excited everyone was happy and felt as if we rule the world. It's that age and the win and the appreciation, it was all that effect and we ran to sit in the bus on the last seat. 

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to error that counts." ~ Nikki Giovani

We all sat and were talking loud and suddenly there was a guy who got into the bus and sat in front of us. He was big and the two-seater seat was fully taken by him and in a funny way I said, who's this elephant? I was not expecting that he would be able to hear me but the moment he turned back I, immediately apologized as suddenly I felt that's not me.

"You have to make mistakes to find out who you aren't. You take the action, and the insight follows: You don't think your way into becoming yourself." ~ Anne Lamott


It seems the guy also recognized that, because the way my face expression changed and I apologized - he said its okay but you shouldn't say that to anyone. I thanked him.

That day and till now, I have never made fun of anyone. I don't judge anyone. I have come to the understanding that everyone has their own story and we are no one to pass judgement to anyone. Let's live and let other's live. Life has so much to offer just enjoy and share your happiness if you can and move along.

"You need to give yourself permission to be human." ~ Joyce Brothers

~ Dawn

Note: Now you can listen to the audio version of my blogs in Hindi on the UshaDawn Hindi Podcast on Google, Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Check it out and new episodes uploaded every day 3 AM Pacific Standard Time

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...