Friday, September 10, 2021

Cooking is love made visible ...!

Today I am going to talk about food. I am sure we all have our favorite food and I have many favorite ones as I am a foodie and love to cook and eat and make others eat as well.

I was raised as a vegetarian but my Dad made sure we eat meat too so every Sunday he would go to the market and get fresh meat  which could be a chicken or goat or fish. But I always loved vegetarian food and hence I tried to cook those at home so that my kids also eat healthy home cooked food.

"People who love to eat are always the best people." ~ Julia Child

Last when I went to an Indian grocery store I brought few vegetables that usually you don't get in Whole Foods or other stores.

I brought Ceylon spinach or water leaf as it grows in wet area and this shrub is dark in color. This is highly rich in dietary magnesium which is beneficial for lot of things in our body. I usually make it very simple.


After plucking the leaves making sure they are clean and not eaten by worms or so wash it and cut it nice and thin. Then in a grinder add grated coconut, cumin seeds, garlic and green chilly and make a fine paste and then heat a pan with little oil where you splutter some mustard seeds, red chilly and curry leaves and as soon they splutter add the water leaf that you cleaned and chopped nice and thin along with the coconut paste that you made add everything and add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Put a lid and cover it to cook for ten minutes and then mix it overall and let it cook for five more minutes and its ready to eat.

"The people who give you their food give you their heart." ~ Cesar Chavez

The coconut taste along with garlic and green chilly it gives a different taste to it overall. Usually, people eat this as a side on their main course meal but I eat this with bread too. Its a vegan dish, those who are healthy conscious should try out this vegan dish and others too ;) .

Next time, I should talk about the pumpkin curry :D !

"Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate." ~ Aland D. Wolfelt

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...