Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Change is the end result of all true learning...!

 


Today I thought to write about education. Something that is universally noted about and something about my personal experience.

Education is basically someone teaching the knowledge that they have learned and another person who is receiving this education from the person who is educated and is well versed on it. These kinds are formal education which basically every child must get it in their life - Elementary, Middle and High-School education through an institution. Once this is completed kids should be able to decide about their further education in colleges.

In some place not everyone is lucky to get a formal education but yet with their hard work and determination they do well in life through their experience and informal learnings.

I believe, education is not only to make money but it also helps one learn things which could be of social aspects or technology or information on some historic events etc. Yes, definitely education changes life as there are data that shows just a single extra year of schooling can increase an individual's earnings by up to 10% and if all students in low income countries left school with basic reading skills, it could pull 171 million people out of poverty.

"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." ~ John Dewey

I come from a family where my parents couldn't complete their college degree due to financial situation but they made sure their kids gets the education. I studied under Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) syllabus. Since I grew up in National Defense Academy in Pune, there were lot of privileges that I received and I am very thankful for the same.

After my high-school I was determined about doing college and after that my masters as well. Unlike other parents, my parents never forced me to choose a specific field or subject and I really feel very thankful for that. Because this gave me freedom to choose what I want to do in life and at the same time be responsible for what I choose. 

Being a science student and living in the Defense Academy, research faculty attracted me often. I completed my college degree in Chemistry. I wanted to do my masters in Chemistry as Organic Chemistry or Bio-Chemistry but to my surprise, at some place I was in waiting list and at some place I would have to move to a different place /city and live in hostel. My parents were not ready for that, hence I never lived in hostel or dorm. I don't have any experience of living away from home during that time.

"Education is not a problem, education is an opportunity." ~ Lyndon Johnson

But I did my masters in Labor Laws and Labor Welfare - this was more when industrialization was kicking in and my degree would help me find the right kind of job.

One thing is education is not only to get jobs though its one of the benefit, yet we learn a lot by being educated about things, in my case the laws, basic rights of a worker and how a company or business owner can take advantage of workers by not letting them know about their rights etc. I am a people person and probably that's the reason my interest in the subject was deep and sincere. I came first in Pune University.

I got my job immediately in a well reputed company in India and to my surprise I was the one who was guiding the company corporate leaders by educating on the labor laws and what they can do and what they cannot. But this also gave me an opportunity to educate the workers about their rights, who didn't even know how to read or write.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ Albert Einstein

I would have loved living that life where I am educating what I learned and also helping those who have been misused the rights. But destiny had something else for me and I land up in Canada.

Long story short, I never gave up the opportunity to learn and even now I am learning. It's not the formal education but on the job I learn everyday. My field from labor laws changes into technology. I had to learn about the products, the benefits and the features of it. How do they work for customers or users with technology and the list goes on.

When I look back, I feel if I was still with labor laws probably I would have become an activist fighting for poor and helpless people's rights and today here I am not an activist but strive to enhance the user experience and make sure the enhancement gets done on time.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." ~ Nelson Mandela 

Who would have thought that I will be working in the software industry at all? 

Life can take you anywhere, it can give you challenges provided you're ready to lead it by being open to learning. The day learning stops, I understand I am done but for now there's long way to go as I am still learning about new technology and ways to work around.

"Learn continually - there's always 'one more thing' to learn!" ~ Steve Jobs

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...