Monday, September 27, 2021

Take only memories, leave only footprints..!

 


Today I am going to talk about my favorite vacation. Well, growing up every alternate year we used to visit my maternal grandma's place for summer vacation. My Dad's side of the family only had cousins as my grandparents died very early while my Dad was still young. Hence, summer vacation used to be in Kerala, India. 

I remember how we as kids are studying hard to give the final exams and Mom used to be busy shopping gifts for my granny and my aunts and kids and also clothes for me to wear in that part of the region. Mainly she would buy long skirts, no sleeveless, no shorts, no short skirts and these were clothes that I will be wearing when I am at my granny's house. I was told you can wear whatever you want here that's not a problem but when we go to granny's place its a village and people don't look at you with respect when you're wearing short dresses etc. It was weird but that's how it is.

"It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times."

Living at lush green place was such a beautiful memory even today. There was a river called Pamba Nadi (Nadi means river) and my granny and her kids whoever were living nearby would take shower there and I used to love to play in the water hence I used to make a trip to the river more than three times and since we were coming from the city, my granny would say you city people may not be used to the cold water from the river and you will fall sick and guess what I would fall sick and then everyone in the house will come to rescue me as I was the youngest grandchild then. But guess what, after that I would be strictly asked to take shower at home with hot water! That was boring, but I really had fun with my aunt who would take me everywhere she goes.

Having those beautiful memories from childhood, growing up and traveling around is fun but the favorite one that I felt was when we as a family went to Hawaii - Maui island. 

We had booked an apartment where we could cook in the kitchen as well. The soil, the plants, trees and flowers everything was so similar to Kerala that I had to educate my kids about these and also shared my childhood stories. It was funny when I saw Mimosa Pudica flower and asked my kids to touch the leaves as they are also called touch-me-not plant. Kids started enjoying as they touched the leaves and the leaves would shy away and close and they repeated this just to see if it really happens. 


"Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings." ~ Hodding Carter

I was surprised to see African Tulip tree in Hawaii as after leaving India, I don't think I have seen this in any other country that I have visited and one can only imagine my happiness connected to my childhood as this tree has ornamental flowers and has small claw like buds which has fluid inside. As kids we used to cut the tip of the bud and the water used to come out like from a piston and kids used to put it on each other while playing and the seed of this tree is hidden in a boat shaped shell and we used to also play with those after removing the seeds... so much to share with kids and my kids could see the happiness that I was having while sharing some of my childhood stories.


Similarly you go anywhere there's a beach and these beaches are so fun to be in as the water is warm unlike the California beaches where its so cold that you can't get out there without wearing your jacket. It was so much fun we did all the touristy stuff, road to Hana and watching the sunrise, the waterfalls, then for snorkeling which was an adventure because that time I didn't know how to swim and I was wondering if I would be able to snorkel.

I overcome the fear of getting drowned and with the help of the trainers I was able to initially go in the water and slowly as I was enjoying watching the sea animals under the sea water, I realized my trainer had left me to assist some other kid and for a minute I was conscious but soon got control of it and enjoyed snorkeling myself. That was an amazing experience which I will not forget.


Besides that, we also did the helicopter ride tour and it was so beautiful that reminded me of Kerala. Everything had a connection with my childhood, the Mother Nature, the flowers, the trees that specifically grows in tropical country and here I could see everything just like that. 

"Smell the sea, and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly." ~ Van Morrison

It was a two week vacation but I fell in love with this place and started looking for job because I didn't feel like leaving this place!

Well, like they say your desires and priorities and responsibilities all will come to one decision - it's packing time.

No matter where I have been since my childhood, its always the nature that has captured my heart and it makes me feel happy that nature has so much to offer to us - the Love and Happiness!!!

"Every person needs to take one day away. A day in which consciously separates the past from the future." ~ Maya Angelou

~ Dawn

Note: Now you can listen to the audio version of my blogs in Hindi on the UshaDawn Hindi Podcast on Google, Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Check it out and new episodes uploaded every day 3 AM Pacific Standard Time

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...