Monday, September 13, 2021

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving..!

 I knew it will happen some day and the day is arriving. I am talking about my daughter who will go into college and that means she will be moving out of the house.


Many times in conversation, my daughter would ask me to see my reaction, Mom, will you cry? And my answer to her is why should I cry? You're growing in your life from school to college and then your career and the same thing I did so when I see you going in that path, I should be proud and happy.

"Good luck in college! Opportunities are like sunrises. If you wait too long, you miss them." ~ William Arthur Ward

I know what she meant by asking that question and probably she also knows it.

I cannot think of something that will happen in the future but react now for that, doesn't make any sense. 

If you ask me, one day if she goes for sleep over at her friend's house the house looks empty but that's a different thing, we have to get used to it.

I have never stopped my kids from anything that is for their education and or for their future because I feel my emotions cannot be an hinderance towards that. Every parent goes through and I will also go through that phase. Why go far to search an example, when your baby has grown up to a teenager to an adult that's also a phase that parents goes through that oh, I can't hold my baby in my arms anymore. So change is evident and we have to embrace it and move forward.

"May the universe work in your favor."

I can imagine what my parents must have felt when I moved to Canada and USA. But at least in my time I was living with my parents until I got married, that's the culture back in India then.

As the time is approaching, my daughter's desk, bed, luggage, kitchen items and other cleaning items is moving into her apartment that she will be sharing with other girls. I guess this phase is mentally preparing both of us. 


I know this pandemic made everyone stuck at home and so she didn't experience what it is to go to a college because of online classes, and finally her last year she is getting to live out of her home near the college campus.

"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." Warren Buffett

As a mother, I feel this is a must in every child's life - a chance to live independently and manage their activities along with managing their food, laundry, cleaning and at the same time how to live with their friends or room mates because you get too comfortable living at home. This will give you a glimpse of outside world - not the real one but still!

At this moment, I am being strong as I want my kid to manage things while I am there because this is all a preparation for the time when her loved ones won't be there but she will confidently manage things for herself.

I was raised to be an independent kid by my parents and it helped me to manage my life independently and I think every child should be given a chance for that. I see many Indian parents they spoon feed their kids meaning, helping in every step and sometimes in that path the kid starts expecting it all the time. 

One thing I always remember which my Dad had told me, your parents won't be there with you all the time. So, you should be able to manage things of your own without depending on anyone.

"Carpe diem. Seize the day. Make your life extraordinary." ~ John Keating

At least, my daughter knows that I am there for her as long as I am alive but for now she is capable of handling her life as I raised her that way.

You're now independent. You have freedom. But responsibilities come with that freedom. Focus on your studies and keeping all the other balls in the air. Call me for any reason, it will be a little overwhelming at first, but you will find your way around, you will get the hang of things, you will make friends, and you will make memories that last a lifetime. 

"Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter." ~ Melissa Marr

When my friends appreciate my kids, for their maturity, for their behavior - I think I am successful at least in some part of my life. Every parent looks for this day and I wish my daughter a very successful and fruitful year in college.

"Let every child be successful in their dreams as for parents we only hope for their happiness." ~ Dawn

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...