Monday, December 10, 2007

“Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder”

Its been a while since I have blogged after my long weekend trip and it was not that I am short of topics :D in fact I have so many topics from day to day life that am unable to decide on which to opt first J
Today’s topic is about bribe :) !
Yes I think even though we don’t agree and don’t support bribing, knowingly or unknowingly everyone tries to bribe by some or the other way!
I didn’t realize this until I heard someone at work was suggesting to buy gifts for other’s nephew or niece so that your work gets done!!!!

“The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.” ~Author Unknown

My first reaction to this was WHY? Aren’t we all working for one company and aren’t we getting paid for that?; Then why this extra from your pocket?
I am a strong believer and I believe that one should not be bribed but one should remind them of their duties and responsibilities – but then who has time for all this!

“Though the bribe be small, yet the fault is great” ~ Edward Coke

We all are in the era of speed, where we lack patience and yet want things to happen in the way we expect and to make it happen we look for an easy way out and bribe seems a pretty cool thing!

You do my work and I will give you something if not at least coffee and donut :D!
After looking at the ethics of people’s working style I have now come to a point where I don’t pity the people who take this effort of bribing but I pity those who settle with donut and coffee to get their work done!!! Lol
Can you imagine what they are putting themselves into when they accept these kinds of bribe and try to show off their importance by working on things as if without them the work wouldn’t have happened?

“Neither fire nor wind, birth nor death can erase our good deeds” ~ Buddha

I used to think that most of the companies have the policies where they clearly mention not to take bribe and not to give either so how come within the company these things take place!?!

It is sad to see the way we are turning into a fast paced yet with such work ethics imagine what else must they be doing out side of work to get the things done in their favor?

I am glad so far I am able to get things done with my professional approach and the day I feel I have to bribe a person probably I will stop working! J One should feel good in what they are doing – I guess! But am sure there are other places where bribe is called as charm ;)

“A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever he turns, he succeeds” ~ Bible

What do my friends have to say is bribing good or bad? If things work for you then you would say its good?

“Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right”. ~ Isaac Asimov

12 comments:

Cyberkitty said...

I don't think it's a bribe to give a gift or that it's bad. It is just a way of showing thanks or respect to a colleague and creating goodwill. After all, we also give gifts to family members and friends we don't really like so why not to colleagues who may be closer to us.

Art said...

Love the Asimov quote! Thanks. Bribery is unethical. It doesn't matter if it gets you anything or not. That's the way I look at it anyway. I've never acccepted a bribe nor have I offered one. It's just wrong.

Anonymous said...

I will say "NO" to such things and stay away...

pria

Keshi said...

**I didn’t realize this until I heard someone at work was suggesting to buy gifts for other’s nephew or niece so that your work gets done!!!!

thats slack. Thats BRIBING indeed!


Keshi.

Anonymous said...

& this is so relevant in the Indian context especially in govt. institutions, where Bribe is one charm that really makes the work moving....we can only lament, only if we change our mindset then perhaps we can eradicate this menace....Nice thoughts!

krystyna said...

Hi Dawn.
Bribing is unetical, as Art said.
Thanks for this smart post!
Best wishes to you!

Itz me!!! said...

yes..bribing is wrong in whatever way it is expressd..cash or kind .

Itz me!!! said...

yes..bribing is wrong in whatever way it is expressd..cash or kind .

Dawn said...

cyberkitty: Thanks you for your thoughts dear! Yes you are right at times the intention is good and those too get
noticed as a bribe and not gift :)
Cheers

art: I think you understood what I meant in this post. Thanks for your views dear
Cheers

pria: Yes, its something to do with your conscience too
Thanks for being so direct and open :) I liked it.
Cheers

keshi: :) thank you my dear and lots n lots of huggzzzz. These days lack of time and busy schedule is keeping me
away from all...hope you all understand
Cheers

kalyan: Thanks dear and I appreciate your thoughts too
Cheers

krystyna: Thanks a lot dear for your kind words and blessings
May god bless you dear
keep smiling
Cheers

itz me!!!: Thank you for your views
Cheers

Shiva said...

Bribe is obviously bad. But sometimes we tend to mix bribe and gift, bothe the giver and the given misunderstand a gift by setting unnecessary expectations aor commitments.

But it's in all the levels and in all the industry verticals. Human, All too Human!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn said...

shiva: Good point! after all we are human :)
Thanks for adding your thoughts dear
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...