Sunday, May 07, 2006

The same thing happened today that happened yesterday, only to different people

Yesterday was an awesome evening…! I had planned this weekend to visit the concert of Jagjit Singh…! It was in Oakland city a 40 minutes ride…but I made sure to attend and cherish some of my 2004’s memories when I was attending his concert in Mumbai.

“A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.” ~ Elvis Presley

As usual this was a new experience for me as far as the place was concerned…I wanted to analyze the crowd as well. Usually, the ghazal crowd is more of elite I feel…where people have patience to listen to the ghazals and the shers (couplets), that one says and the intellect of understanding it…and to my surprise the crowd was a bit divided.

“In reading, a lonely quiet concert is given to our minds; all our mental faculties will be present in this symphonic exaltation.”

There were people who were sitting on the first row and were just mere there for the sake of show-off. Infact from there one of the guy started troubling Jagjit by telling him ‘Mukarar’ (once more), when in between the singing Jagu was challenging his musicians to play ‘jugalbandi’ (a kind of competitive music that they instrumentalist’s play which really test there talents as well)!

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

There was a brief…conversation however Jagu was on mic and he said to the guy that he is not the only audience and hence he has to be patient. Also, when you say ‘Mukarar’ meaning I will be only singing one ghazal hahaha it was a hilarious sarcasm that Jagu created and told him he can get refund back for his ticket ‘If he has purchased one’!
It was an embarrassment for that guy as the whole crowd was clapping to Jagu’s reaction.

“When an argument flares up, the wise man quenches it with silence”

Anyway, what best I like about Jagu is, (no doubt his voice has always mesmerized me and even today I get Goosebumps the moment I hear his ghazals), that he not only gives opportunity in his shows to his musicians but also makes the crowd involve and sing with him. Yes, guys yesterday the program started at 8:00 p.m. and ended up at 12:00 a.m. Though the venue was more or less a sports stadium hence the sound system was not that effective. I missed the 'Royal Thompson Hall' in Toronto....the architecture is something...amazing which basically was created keeping music in mind! I remember how Jagjit had mentioned this aspect before starting his ghazal in Toronto :D!

"There's someone in my head but it's not me".

During that time period he sung almost 25 ghazals along with Punjabi folk songs. Some of the ghazals he made all of us to sing and it was quite interesting as I always liked the interactive crowd whether it’s a concert, meeting or presentation…I think that’s how a presenter can feel the veins of his audience.

“Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well”

In all…it was an awesome evening, a memorable one for me…as each time I see him …I feel he is getting more and more young with his voice and himself. I did say that he is looking younger than last time :D

“When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things.”

Jagjit was honored by the Mayor of Oakland city, a certificate that declared May 6th as “Jagjit Singh Day” :D

I have added all those ghazals (trying to as am rushing out too ;) ),that he sung during the concert except the Punjabi ones.

“To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.”

I loved the concert ended with the song – ‘Balle balle ni kudiye punjaban ki’ and I remembered how I had a folk dance competition in school on this same song…! Oh gosh…I can never leave behind my child hood memories..!

“Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”

An awesome evening which I had and will always crave to have :D

“It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.” ~ Leo N Tolstoy

12 comments:

Keshi said...

Wow dawn u got to go to a concert of Jagjit Singh? LUCKY U! LIVE concerts r always so very exciting and can never be replaced in any other way...

**When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things.”

Spot on!


Actually Music is the ONLY thing that keeps me going in many situations...

Ur tag will be up soon :)

Keshi.

Ekta said...

Hey wow!
Sounds awesome!
LOVE Jagjit singh gazals ...unfortunately have never been to his concert!!
Am soo jealous of u..lucky u!

Manish Kumar said...

U r lucky to hear him twice. Out of the 25 which one was a cut above the rest. will chk out ur radio blog today.

Sujit said...

wow you might have had a great evening.. oh man!!.. i had been to few concerts but not of jaguu... live is always live.. the electrification is different!!

Masood Ahmed said...

Interactive crowd gives presenter a feed back that how he/she is doing, but the crowd is made interactive by the presenter by touching the hearts of those who are present in the crowd.
You must ahve a great time:)

kumarldh said...

jagjit g is gr8
I normaly dont go for ghazals
serius stuff
but if i do I am always hooked to jagjit g
U r lucky as every one is saying

Jim said...

Wow dawn u got to go to a concert of Jagjit Singh!!







who the fuck is is Jagjit Singh?

Anand said...

Hey,
U lucky thing!
Have been wanting to catch one of his shows live--but just never managed till now!
Guess someday I will...hopefully when I am in India sometime!

PuNeEt said...

25 gazals is mesmerising
Envy u for that ;-)

Jagu... kya naam diya re tune
aisa lagta hain mumbai ke kisi ilake ka don hain ;-) lol

I luvd his reply too...

:-)
I'm back

cheers

direkishore said...

huh, this only made me feel bad as i couldnt make it when he was here last month :(
but thank you, it brought back good memories of his concerts i have attended.

Anon said...

hey dawn....howdy
good to know u had a good time.....i love your collection of quotes...where do u get them from....

Dawn said...

keshi: Yes love am his die-hard fan and since I personally got to know him and meet him in Mumbai last year…am a gone case when its Jagjit Singh :D….and I will try not to miss his any concerts which is in the city that am residing :D
Thnx for ur love dear…
Cheers

ekta: Yes dear…I also feel the same when others mention that they are going for his concert that too in a far country where I cannot think of flying to make it :D
am sure you will also make it one day …my best wishes to u
cheers

manish: I guess you are forgetting…I did attend in Toronto, Mumbai and California ….its amazing! What I liked is he didn’t give any opportunity for the musicians to relax…as from one link to another…he continued…the awesome part was…how come one ghazal totally different tune ends up with another one to start…I guess that’s the beauty of music and the ragas…Do listen…
cheers

sujit: So true and if ur his fan u must go!!!! Its just awesome dear
cheers

masd: Indeed dear..it goes without saying…I get emotional …very emotional even when he is talking so…imagine the songs with emotions his bring in …:D
cheers

kumar chetan: So true the other day someone @ work told me he is not in to serious stuff such as ghazals…and I said it is not…people have not got out of that illusion that ghazals are always sad and serious..no way! If one starts giving importance to the lyrics..one will understand the ghazal’s format is totally different and spiritually it hits you :D…am glad you like his too :D
cheers

Johnny b.good: Welcome to my blog and I will say dear… b.good :D
its just like if you ask any American kids who is Elvis….that’s how you get the reaction…and I don’t think its great answer or response …as that shows there limited knowledge…! By now am sure you might have got the answer to ur question..if not let me know ;)
cheers

anand: Sure dear..I know its so difficult but yeah…try one and am sure you will never want to miss his next one :D…
cheers

puneet: Yes dear…its good to see u back..am so happy :D…Jagu is only for me ;) hehe he was too good that day! He was telling us how people when they fall in love they start lying…how…is that they say..
‘tum jo aate ho to meethi lagti hai imli bhi
tum jo nahi hote to khari lagti hai shehad bhi :D
{when u r around even tamarind is sweet, but when ur not here even honey is sour in taste :D}
it was an awesome evening which I will never forget :D
cheers dear

direkishore: Welcome to my blog dire..! am glad my post did bring some good memories to u …thnx and do come again
cheers

mirzaghalib: Yesssssssssssss I did………..:D…it was awesome!!!
Cheers

komal mehta: Hey buddy glad to see u here…where do I get…well…I have it my diary (personal one)…wrote it down as I used get to read…:D! am glad u liked them…its kudos to those great people who did said and gave us a path to think and follow :D
do come again
cheers

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...