Monday, December 11, 2006

“Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story”

It was a hectic and busy weekend –meeting and greeting friends was quite fun!
I had a chance in all this to watch the movie ‘Umrao Jaan’ the new one!
Though I have not seen the old one and neither I knew the story of ‘Umrao Jaan’, my only intention was to watch this movie for its story!

“If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again.” ~ Groucho Marx
Frankly speaking, even though I am a fan of Abhishek I don’t want to comment on the acting part of the duo as I felt they are not matured enough for this kind of role!

A time came where Ash was crying and am sure the audience is supposed to feel the pain and suffering and usually I get touched and carried away with the story but here – I said to myself :D Ash…your acting is not making me cry even or feel bad!

“Maturity begins to grow when you can sense your concern for others outweighing your concern for yourself.” ~ John MacNaughton

But yes the story of Ameeran (Umrao Jaan), really was touchy! I felt had it been a guy would there be some effort done to search this kid who was taken away and sold in a brothel by couple of guys who were taking there revenge on the father of that kid!

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ~ Maya Angelou
How the value of a girl-child is and/or was degraded makes me feel the pain! Even though the kid when she grows and gets an opportunity she comes searching for her lost family and identity and she doesn’t get any thing from the people who were alive – mother, brother or even the people of that village!

“You are not our protectors…If you were who would there be to protect us from?(Posed this conundrum to the male gender)” ~ Mary Edwards Walker

A question kept lingering in my mind…(may be coz am Papa’s daughter :D), had her father been there would he be taking her back? I guess my friends can add there thoughts to ponder here ;)

“Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad”

I am sure my friends will agree that the old Umaro Jaan’s music is still young and melodious with Asha Bhosale’s voice but yet Javed Akhtar’s lyrics is awesome and the music makes sense as it goes along with the story! The songs I liked very much are
‘Ek toote huye dil ki awaz’ (voice of a broken heart), 'Main na mil sakoon jo tumse' (If am not able to meet you..) all in Alka Yagnik’s voice ;)

Can be heard here: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movie_name.8651/

But no marks to the hero-heroines ;)

Anyone who has seen has a different opinion?

“People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 comments:

Neihal said...

of all the UJ reviews I agree with this one word by word..
"A question kept lingering in my mind…(may be coz am Papa’s daughter :D), had her father been there would he be taking her back?"
you know exactly how I felt when I was watching that part.

krystyna said...

Hi Dawn!
Thanks for sharing this post!
My favorite quote:
"Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad”.It is so true.
All the best to you!

Anonymous said...

Nope. Will chk it out soon so nothing to say about the movie.

Ekta said...

havent seen the movie yet and after ur review dont think I will either..but agree on ashs acting bit..she still has to go a long way!

P said...

Ash is sooooo overrated as an actress, its not even funny!!
Umrao yawn!

Vipul said...

I havent seen it but no offence
I would prolly not see it either
DUnno why people have to repeat a concept over and again
Classic and the old one is the best
Same is with don
But then i can never know about the touchy things you talk of until i watch it:(

Vipul said...

I havent seen it but no offence
I would prolly not see it either
DUnno why people have to repeat a concept over and again
Classic and the old one is the best
Same is with don
But then i can never know about the touchy things you talk of until i watch it:(

rachana said...

//had her father been there would he be taking her back?//
let alone the question of taking her back.. to sell one's daughter for just few bucks is not a big deal in some part of india! every now and then we get to hear such news..
//“Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad”
//
loved it!! so true!

Anonymous said...

hmm i though the film was really good and aish acted really good. alka yagnik's voice is amazing and the song 'pooche rahe hain' makes me sad everytime i hear it! To be honest i thought Aish was overrated as an actress too but after her performance in this film, Ive changed my mind. She's gorgeous and she can act & dance!! Loved the choreography and costumes in the film.

Keshi said...

A friend of mine recommended this movie which I havent seen yet. Now I really wanna see it cos u like it too.

however Im a bit tired of Aish and Abhishek in every movie. I mean they r everywhere LOL!

Keshi.

starry said...

Have not seen this movie or the older version.but would like to after reading your review.thanks.

Phoenix said...

loved the way u told d story of umrao jaan in ur own special way...im looking forward to see the film myself

Anonymous said...

i didnt like it :|

kumarldh said...

i watched happy feet, its a good meaningful movie, watch it

Anonymous said...

I have not seen the movie yet. as for songs I have heard some of them. agle janam mohe....was the most touching one.

Manish Kumar said...

I have not seen the movie yet. as for songs I have heard some of them. agle janam mohe....was the most touching one.

Manish Kumar said...

I have not seen the movie yet. as for songs I have heard some of them. agle janam mohe....was the most touching one.

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...