Monday, March 14, 2016

A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever



A short story slam at Bluebell Books - 40th Week...

Growing up as a kid was always fun and the best part is that I am still growing up... !
Being raised as a human and less of a girl actually helped me to liberate and understand people better. It also gave me an opportunity to do things which often they said girls cant do.

It was one of those things where when lot of my friends were picking the sports such as volley ball and dodge ball, I picked up the hockey stick.

"Don't let the skirts fool you
we are more than just chicks with sticks
Hustle and hit and never quit"

Yes, I love field hockey till date and I enjoyed playing, learning and dribbling the ball on the field. It was a pride when my sport teacher Mrs Bose used to tell me that she has come to see the shot and after that she will go home... it always inspired me to do better always.

One of her favorite student was me and she always called me P.T. Usha (Indian gold medalist Ex-Olympic player in running). I used to be the runner who eventually turned into a hockey player.
I was a fast runner, good dribbler with the ball, my one shot at the ball would cross the field and my teacher used to just clap and say few words of encouragement with the note - 'keep it up'!


Sports has always attracted me to an extent that I am always on the ground and playing. My enthusiasm and interest in sports is what made my sports teacher Mrs Bose to select me in the hockey team. Everyday we used to practice in the school ground and on weekends our team used to get to practice in the prestigious ground in National Defense Academy (NDA), where the cadets used to play. We used to get coaching as well and Kariappa used to be one of them. Its a blessing.

Those who know Kariappa as a coach who actually used to train the National hockey team of women in India. I always feel it was that blessed moment. There were other coach who trained how to harm the opponents but soon he was replaced and we learned some good techniques of hockey.
I was at the position of Left Center Half... !

After all that practice and hard-work the day came when we had to play against two other schools. This was not only a moment to win but also to play strategically such that we are selected in the team for the nationals.

I always wanted to play nationals and this was my dream. We played with two schools, one was with KV Sadan Command school and other was from Bombay - KV Devlali. We as a team from KVK, NDA played at our best. There was unity, team spirit and our passing and coordination on the ground was much appreciated by the referee and other coaches as well.
We won with KV Sadan Command but the Bombay girls were big and furious - I still have marks on my thumb that was hit by the hockey stick of the opposite team. Falling, hitting nothing ever mattered to me when I am on the field and so I performed well even though we lost with KV Devlali. 
We had a great lunch at a 3 star restaurant as promised by our teacher Mrs Bose and I was told that I am selected for the nationals as well....but that year I scored less in my grade and hence from home everyone suggested sports is good for fun but not for career... and thus my dream to be a national player remained like a dream.

Today I live my dream looking at other hockey players and lacrosse player such as my daughter ;) I still get goose bumps when I watch a sport on the ground in the stadium....!

A dream that didn't come true yet, I live in every player that I watch. 

"You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one. I hope someday you will join me ;) and the world will live as one" ~ John Lennon

~ Dawn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you truly write with some emotion and memory,
thanks,

Dawn said...

Thank you for noticing that :) appreciate your comment.

Cheers
Dawn

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...