Thursday, October 19, 2017

Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong...

This time of the year, I really miss India, specially Pune. Growing up in Pune as a Malayalee (Keralite) is one thing but I grew up watching and being part of Diwali celebration.


I think every year I did something or the other and celebrated in my way but this time probably I am feeling its all fake. My friends say I should still do it that's how kids are going to know and learn about it. But Diwali is not only about one person it's about everyone celebrating and when you don't have that kind of unity it's a failure.

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate" ~ Oprah Winfrey

Being in NDA, Pune I celebrated diwali with friends and family by wearing new clothes, exchanging sweets, mom used to make sweets at home- I miss karanji the most and play with fireworks (Laxmi bomb, Vishnu bomb, paanpatti, phuljhadi, ladi, captain bomb, rocket and so on) - it was fun. But when I got to live with Maharashtrians in the family I fully lived the 6 days diwali celebration and each day had its meaning and purpose and there was so much of enthusiasm that no matter what issues you have all goes away during festivity times. The weeks ahead preparation of sweets, shopping for 6 days different clothes and matching jewelries and so on... the crowd used to be fun and late nights coming home with eating dinner out as no one has time to cook and yet excited with the whole nine yard celebration. 

"We don't call it homesick. We call it missing home. There's not a sickness involved, it's a state of mind."

I miss all that today and feels a vacuum everywhere. So many messages, celebration pictures on social media and all this is reflecting on me and my thoughts.

A diwali where I am missing my mom's homemade sweets and the traditional aspect of the celebration.

"Sometimes you will never know the true value of a Moment until it becomes a Memory"


Happy Diwali!!!  




~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...