Sunday, September 30, 2018

Humanity should be our race. Love should be our religion!

I remember when my Hindi poetry book 'Khwabon Ki Zameen' - Land of dreams, was published in 2008 the funds that I collected was mainly for HIV kids in India and during that time I heard from my Mom-in law about Palliative Care and her decision to practice that after her retirement in a hospital for AIDS patients in Calicut, Kerala India. She had mentioned that my Father-in law Dr Narayanan, wanted to do this and since he is no more she would like to take that dream forward.
I was very much touched by that and I also decided at that time of doing the same in one or the other way through whatever way I can support.
Many times our family responsibilities come as priority but I believe there are many other ways that we can support such as financial help, professional help and also through spreading the message across as this is something that not many know about the palliative care and the need of it.
Being in the developed countries such as Canada and USA, I have heard of these and I have seen how patients are supported, in fact I had volunteered in my early days in Toronto, Canada by visiting the old age home where patients need that compassion and love. I used to spend one hour every time I went there and the amount of love I received from each one of them was something I can't even describe in words and many times I felt did they needed that or was it me, who had no family or friends in that country at that time. It is such a therapy that everyone can benefit by mere showing compassion and love to each other.

"The best way to find yourself is to loose yourself in the service of others." ~ M. K. Gandhi

These things are not that common in countries like India and many others. We all within ourselves know that every living being needs love, compassion and support during all the times. It's even more when one is suffering but I feel we in this fast paced era forget about compassion or it gets ignored and lost in many other priorities but what we forget is the main fundamental thing that we are human!


Padma Shri Dr. M. R. Rajagopal is an Indian palliative care physician. He is the founder chairman of Pallium India, a palliative care non-governmental organization based in Kerala, India. 
He is often referred to as the 'Father of Palliative Care in India', in honor of his significant contribution to the palliative care scene in India. In 2018, the Indian Government honored Dr M. R. Rajagopal with the Padma Shri award.

I would like to share a documentary movie based on Dr M. R. Rajagopal's life, titled "Hippocratic: 18 Experiments in Gently Shaking the World" which was released on World Palliative Care Day - Oct 14th, 2017.

"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity; more than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost." ~ Charles Chaplin

Yesterday I had the privilege to meet in person Padma Shri Dr. M. R. Rajagopal at a charity event hosted by Punyam. Listening to his speech where many stories he shared from his real life and experience that brought tears in many people's eyes who were present there. It really touched some of the inner core of my soul and the question that I keep asking myself came back again - why are we living if we are not there for each other to support. 
Personally when I hear about someone suffering or being expired because of illness, my immediate thought goes to my loved ones because I know one fact about life is that we all are going to die. It's matter of time and matter of who goes first. No matter when it happens and who goes first, all I care about is to give that happiness and peace while they are there with us. It is so important to do things while people are alive because after death they are not there to see anything, not even your tears.
No matter how much technology takes lead in our lives, love and compassion can never be given by technology. I am a supporter of technology but as an enabler for us. Technology can help with many aspects of health industry but the human touch, and compassion can only be through us i.e., we humans.

"We are very, very small, but we are profoundly capable of very, very big things" ~ Stephen Hawking 

Many times I have wished myself to be at places where I can be of some help for humanity and at times the responsibilities takes the first priority and so I try my best to support financially wherever it is possible but my ultimate goal is to be there and help in person on the field for humanity sake.

This is not possible by one person as it takes a whole village to help and support the cause and I am a believer of 'Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good' !

So lets pledge to support Dr. M. R. Rajagopal in his mission for our loved ones sake and for humanity.

"Strong people stand up for themselves, but stronger people stand up for others"

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...