Tuesday, August 08, 2006

“Best friends are the siblings God forgot to give us”

It’s been a while since I updated my blog from last time. I was kind of busy and then was not feeling well! But then business is as usual: D
I was quite busy troubleshooting and attending meetings and finally when I came to my desk, this colleague of mine who always like to talk came by to my desk.

“The busy man is troubled with but one devil; the idle man by a thousand” ~ Spanish proverb

He is a good talker but sometimes people do change there route when they see him coming towards them…somehow I am not able to do so as he comes to my desk ;)
Well, I was amazed the way he was giving me some tips about relationship.
I respect him for his age and he often gives me advice just coz I listen to him: D

“A good listener is not someone with nothing to say. A good listener is a good talker with a sore throat.” ~ Katherine Whitehorn

I was not aware that ‘Rakshabandhan’ (bro -sis festival), is tomorrow until he mentioned it. He was telling about his sister who just lives a few miles away from him and how they don’t even see each other and talk once in a year. I was surprised at this. As for me family living near by is having more people to party – the more the merrier. But he was saying how his sister competes with him for everything even for there kids going to University they hide and try to extract information as what his kids are going to do etc.
One thing I was sure he felt very bad that’s why he came and shared this with me…which even gave me a provoking thought – Is blood really thicker than water?

“Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” ~ Oprah Winfrey

He said tomorrow is Rakshabandhan and my sister she called my wife and said tell your husband when I come to tie rakhi, don’t give me any gifts.
The wife sincerely conveyed the message and I was thinking…why doesn’t she just leave certain things on him to decide??? Well, he said she didn’t call me and said this but she called my wife so that I don’t give any gifts to her and later she can make a big issue about not giving: D…! What a world…? Why the damn you have such relationships…why you celebrate that rakshabandhan if you don’t have that love and respect for eachother. The actual meaning of this tradition is that a brother will always love and protect his sister in all situations…! I guess it had only meaning in old days when one of the queen was in danger she asked for help through this rakhi with the neighboring king and since then the tradition is being carried out.

“Glory built on selfish principles, is shame and guilt” ~ William Cowper

I have always been a black sheep in my family and I always felt we should only do things in which we believe and not to follow just because some bunch of masses are doing it.

“Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true”. Buddha


It is a point to think….how many of you when in trouble approaches your brother or sister and how many of you call your closest friend to discuss and ask for help.

“A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.” -- Fr. Jerome Cummings

I remember I had known a guy who always used to say keep away from relatives: D…now I wonder why?

I guess it’s very true and open whether its friends or your brother-sisters if you are not there in need then indeed you are not there real close ones.

“You can't find any true closeness in Hollywood, because everybody does the fake closeness so well” ~ Carrie Fisher


I would like to share this poetry here…:

“There's one sad truth in life I've found

While journeying east and west -

The only folks we really wound

Are those we love the best.

We flatter those we scarcely know,

We please the fleeting guest,

And deal full many a thoughtless blow

To those who love us best.~Ella Wheeler Wilcox”

20 comments:

Priya said...

Interesting!!! I will come back and write few lines tomorrow.

starry said...

Nice post. I have seen this happen so many times even amongst siblings. sibling rivalry is true and present more than we think it is.Its really sad. I come from a large family and I see it here and there but not a whole lot.I have two kids and I always pray that they will be there for each other no matter what. sometimes friends do take the place of siblings and are close to you. I love these last lines you posted because it is so true.

" We flatter those we scarcely know,

We please the fleeting guest,

And deal full many a thoughtless blow

To those who love us best."

Keshi said...

mebbe true that best friends r siblings that God forgets to give us...but Dawny d u think best friends will be the same if they were siblings?

Miss ya my sista!

Keshi.

Ekta said...

Love the topic of ur blog...friends are the siblings god forgot to give us!
Lovely!

Manish Kumar said...

well said !

Masood Ahmed said...

This question why do we hurt the one whom we love most has been on my mind for quite sometime. I think when we love someone most we ask for unconditional love and we believe in unconditional love, therefore sometimes we over expect and when the love is not given we are hurt or we hurt them by over expecting them. Never expect , you will not be disaapointed. The priorities also change over time. We change. Definitely it hurts when we do not get the same attantion , love we used to get in the past.

Priya said...

Dawn,

Your post is amazing and I fell for it. Hahahha I kept reading over and over coz you had good quotes in been' and how cud anybody miss it.

For a relationship if gifts alone speaks, it is not healthy. People move on after marriage, how can they keep track of few small things in life. Just a phone call shud have made his siter happy than a gift.

Neihal said...

I am thankfl to god and my parents...that I have brothers whom I call my best freinds...Beautiful poem in the end....each wuord is so true.

KL said...

Hey Dawn, you used that title before also in one of your post :P:P. Ask that man why he tries to keep relationship with his sister? Also there might always be another side to a story.

Anonymous said...

Friends will be friends and family will be family....no matter what.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I loved the poem at the end:)

Anand said...

Well its sad when relations with ur own siblings get soured...cant imagine competing with my own bro like this..sucks!

kumarldh said...

good one
These kind of just for the sake of relations are common and I really hate these relations.
I love my friends who say it on my face rather than my close relatives who stab in my back.

rachana said...

hi dawn...loved reading it!

മര്‍ത്ത്യന്‍ said...

Rakshabandhan is not something we never followed at our home. So I never got one from my sister, I dont think she ever thought about it because we never followed it. We have a good relationship, and don't have a special day for it because every day is a special day for a relationship.

I think in one way it is good, as you dont forget a date and get all messed up :)

Guys/Gals, Dont wait for a day to come to show your love, make it today.

Movie Mazaa said...

Its my first time here, and I am kinda amazed at the highly efficient manner in which u have interwoven ur lines with quotes from across the world!!

Way to go!
:)

Dawn said...

pavan: Welcome Priya and am glad to see ur interest in the post :D…I guess I have a new friend here :D…do come again pls
cheers

starry nights: Yes dear I often hear things and I feel that indeed friends are far better than any siblings. Thnx for liking those lines at the end :D
cheers

keshi: Your point is well made :D as then there won’t be that difference isn’t it ?
hugggggz to u my sisy….I miss ya
Cheers

ekta: Thank you so much dear!
Cheers

manish: Thank you for that nod :D…
cheers

masd: dear expectation is high and I guess one can understand that to some extent but what kind of competition stress u build in ur home with your own siblings..? I don’t think that’s worth.
Cheers dear

priya: am glad you could read this again n again ;) and I totally agree any relationship it has to be beyond giving gifts or meeting everyday or making ph calls etc…as every now n then one may not be able to keep the schedule but whts important is to be there whenever we are needed …and basically not even that its just the love…pure love where no expectation is set!
Great points you added here thanks so much dear
Cheers

neihal: dear you are lucky indeed…just save it for good and pray that the brothers don’t change ever.. amen
cheers

kl: Yes dear…sometimes some quotes keep coming back to your mind haunting …and so I don’t stop my mind and heart to do what they want to do :D
Look for each side of story and think of the judgment when you see that after all u r siblings and no enemies!
Cheers

shama: Yes ma’am I totally agree with you & thanks for letting me know that you liked the poem :D
Cheers

anand: Exactly…when u think for urself u will understand how much it hurts …hope everyone feels the same
Cheers

kumar chetan: Yes dear I totally agree with u.. ! BTW where were u all these days missing???? Hope its only work and nothing else ;)
Cheers – good to see u here

rachana: Thank you so much dear for dropping by ..please do come again
cheers

marthyan: I agree with u…there’s no need to have a special day however I think for some it works when they are married off and moved to a different place. But I think when you can all grow up together for say 24-25 yrs together why not keep the touch even after that…? I liked ur msg and proud that u do love ur sis ..thats the way it should be ;)
Cheers

velu nair: Welcome velu to my blog world and hope to see u more often here …thanks for all ur encouraging words.
Cheers

Madhu said...

Know what Dawn, I adore ur quotes. Really good one abt friends.

Well, regarding the rakshabandan custom, I will say the spirit is true even today. I have seen ppl who take it very seriously. My husband's sister makes his rakhi every year by hand. I find that very sweet and sincere.

Yes, I agree with u on doing things that we believe in. And this has got me into lot of trouble but am not complaining....this is the way I am.

kumarldh said...

haye nee main mar jaavan
main aapke khwab me tha
mera to dimag hi kaam nahi karta
kuch aap se tips leta
kuch seekhta
chota smaja ke maf kar dena agar maine koi galti kar di ho

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...