Monday, May 05, 2008

“Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day.”

Weekend was a bit relaxing for me. I had a bit of drive-thru at the near by place in the Bay Area.
Through out the street all I see was Mexican flags. People have plastered the flags to their helmets, cars, self and what not! But all my confusion was …is there a match going on as I always thought that the flag is used to support a specific country and this was a very similar situation but I was not able to make out which game that was … lol

“You don't stop cheering because you've grown old - you grow old because you've stopped cheering”

It reminded me of Caribbean festival times in Toronto…I used to enjoy a lot good summer weather (not like what we have here in the Bay Area where its still cold)! BBQ, good Caribbean food, music and over all the cultural celebration with people around the world!!! I have always enjoyed these festivals and believe me I have not missed any whether its Greek festival, Irish or Caribbean, moment of celebration was never missed :)

“If I need a cause for celebration
Or a comfort I can use to ease my mind
I rely on my imagination
And I dream of an imaginary time.”
~ Billy Joel

This morning I came to know the Mexican flag was all about “Cinco de Mayo” (Spanish for ‘5th of May’). This is a regional holiday in Mexico and primarily celebrated in the state of Puebla. It is not an obligatory federal holiday but it commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguin over French forces in the battle of Puebla on May 5th 1862.
This date is observed in the US and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.
Some people think it to be Mexico’s Independence Day which is not as that date is Sep 16th which is the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

“Truly loving another means letting go of all expectations. It means full acceptance, even celebration of another's personhood.”
It seemed quite a good stunning celebration as I saw people with loud music, food and drinks around sharing with people.

Around 5th afternoon I see margarita at work with Corona beer as part of celebration – wow! Isn’t that amazing!!!
It’s celebration moment and the more it’s merrier so let me wish everyone
A great Cino de Mayo!

“Fly free and happy beyond birthdays and across forever, and we'll meet now and then when we wish, in the midst of the one celebration that never can end.” ~ Richard Bach

6 comments:

Priya said...

Your post reminds me of the ad in Yahoo and that was so cute.

sid said...

Interesting post...I was wondering that you are quite a global person..stay in mexico...write in english..n publish in Hindi...;-)..When your book is released do let me know(though I wonder how I would get it here),but none the less m awaiting to read that bit

Keshi said...

wonderful post and wonderful msg from a wonderful heart!

Keshi.

Michelle said...

i wanna go to mexico someday...i love mexican food :P cute post...those kiddies look adorable

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

as usual, i find peace in your posts !

Dawn said...

priya: Wow…I didn’t see that! Thanks you liked it
Cheers dear

sid: Thanks for the comment dear! But I don’t stay in Mexico. I live in California – US :)
I will soon let you know when my book is coming out which is in June.
Thanks for all your encouragement and interest in my book
Cheers

keshi: Thank you so much dear :)
Hugz n Cheers

michelle: Yes, everyone feels the same but when you see the reality there its sad!!!
Thanks dear
Cheers

anamika:the sugarcrafter: Dear your this statement gives me a deep relief inside me.
It’s a lot what you say here!!!
Thanks a lot my dear
Cheers

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...