Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law"

When John was a kid he used to be very playful all the time. I remember his elder brother or his dad if they see him playing they used to ask him – ‘Don’t you have anything to study? Go and study!’ and John used to shy away thinking its better to get out of this place before getting embarrassed more in front of the neighboring kids.

He was very friendly with girls and his plays used to be some what girly too but no one noticed until John grew up to figure out that he likes girls but he is not attracted towards them.
Let me tell you John is very talented in what he does and that is painting. I often felt that being the young boy no one took him very seriously. Everyone treated him like a kid – I wish I was there for him when he needed a friend instead of any elderly person.

John realized that marriage and girls are not for him. He accepted this fact and tried to share with his friends who can understand but with others he couldn’t and hence he always kept quite.

“What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.” ~Tennessee Williams

Living in a society where being gay is not only a shameful thing but a crime too – what one can expect? John, many times had to face people who are of his fathers or mothers age, asking him – ‘John do you have any girlfriend?’ and John used to say ‘No!’

And this answer used to lead them to ask then why don’t you get married? Haha imagine a guy who doesn’t have a girl friend isn’t that sufficient to let them know that he may not be interested or may be he hasn’t found one yet…but Marriage??? Boy that’s a big thing!!!
He always used to shy away by saying – no! Haven’t found one that I like!!! Or have fallen for :)

Mean while John travelled to different places for work related affairs and ended up in Mumbai training people for different Call Center jobs and during such time John met someone online whom he started liking, Someone who also understood his feelings and shared his happiness with John. It was like a dream come true for John as he never thought he would find someone with whom he can share his feelings, his happiness and living so far. His name is James.

James lives in US and he works in fashion designing and is very creative and successful with his work. By chatting online for long hours and with day and night phone calls, it was very obvious cupid has stuck them.

Love was growing from a seed to a small plant. As much John was eager to meet so was James too. James with his busy schedule often used to ask – John! Dear why don’t you come to US and then we can live happily here and you don’t have to work so hard also as I earn good to take care of things.

John always try his best to explain as how difficult it is to get a US visa and even if he has to make a tourist visit, it’s not that easy as people from US try to fly to India.

“Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth. “ ~Benjamin Disraeli

It was tough for James to understand as he never went to India and he has no idea about the outside world than US.

John in return always wanted to tell James to come to India but he always hesitated either with the fear that James will say that he is busy or straight refuse to him.
Today when James called John – John decided to tell what’s in his heart. After all the sweet talk on the phone, James felt his friend seems to be a bit gloomy and he said, ‘John what’s it that’s bothering you? Tell me and if you don’t then I will come there by myself and find out :)
This was the moment that John was looking for!!!!

“If you have love in your life it can make up for a great many things you lack. If you don't have it, no matter what else there is, it's not enough.” ~ Ann Landers

3 comments:

Suresh Kumar said...

Unlike the movie Dostana, a straight forward story on Gay.

The storytelling and the way it narrated was superb. But frankly, for me, its hard to digest these things.

Forgive me for being open. I never came across such things and its hard to imagine for me that a boy could fall in love with a boy. It is like acting against the nature's law, rite.

Tarun Goel said...

Superb. This is the story from the other side which people usually never try to see.

Dawn said...

Suresh Kumar : Dear...this post is about being open so I don't think you are doing anything wrong. 2ndly, about not accepting - I can totally understand as I know in India this is not even discussed but when you leave the country and come out you face the reality and believe me it was difficult for me to digest too! These people are everywhere in higher posts, as friends and colleagues and when I interact with them I don't see anything different than what you and me would be!!! When you say about your pain, I feel the emotion and the pain so when they say - why can't we feel that and why we get away by mere saying - I don't accept and neglect it?
I want you to follow the next post on this...and I want to know your sincere opinion then! This is not just a gay story...wait for the end ;)
Thanks for being straight :D
Loved your comments
Cheers

Tarun Goel : Yes dear thanks for your comment as other side of the story as every story has two sides isn't it? But here I want you to follow the next post and probably this will take more than 2 posts to end...but I would love to get a sincere opinion as Guys :)
Cheers dear

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...