Monday, August 08, 2016

Don't Let Your Fears Win.....

There is a saying, if you really want to kill someone then kill the fear inside you. My goal in life always had been around this.

I have been always scared of water, even though as a child I used to play in the Pamba (holy river in Kerala) river, which was near my grandma's home. Every other summer vacation we used to be at grandma's and the best part of visiting there was that I used to go to the river with everyone from the house that goes to take a dip.
Playing inside the river with my brother and cousins, throwing stones and then dive to fetch that same stone and what not but those days fear was not there. I realized as a kid when we don't know much we just take a step and move forward. Fear is not there of anything as its unknown but the moment we grow up and knows a hell lot or even little it builds that fear and then we try to pull ourselves backward.
I had a long time wish to do snorkeling even though I don't know how to swim. My aunt used to teach me whenever I used to visit Kerala for summer vacation but after I return I used to forget it. 


My visit to Hawaii a first time here, but doesn't feel that I don't know anything about it. Because every tree and flower, birds, ocean makes me feel I know them from back home. It gives me a feel of Kerala.
We planned today to snorkel and hence I was also prepared as I was more eager to see how I kill this fear and enjoy when I don't know how to swim. The crew was awesome and really made everyone very comfortable. Since I told them that I don't know swimming and this is my first time to snorkel, they literally spent one on one time with me. 
The captain of the boat Chad who very carefully asked me to step into the ocean while he let me hold to the boogie board and without anything he just said, try to look inside the water.
First I couldn't figured out as how come he is asking me to look down without wearing my mask and gear. Yet, I listened to him. Its one of those moments when you know the expert knows better than you so let go and give the control to them.



I looked down inside the ocean and the sight was mesmerizing. It was all colorful beautiful shaped coral reefs and different colored fishes around me and all across. I looked up to Chad and he said isn't this beautiful what you see there down? 
That lead me to wear my mask and gear but I was scared when Chad was about to leave me saying your life jacket will not let you drown. This will keep you floating in the water and you can hang on to the board and look inside. He was right, but the fear inside me was not letting me to.
I just requested him not to leave and he helped me through out to take my own time to feel comfortable with floating and taking support of the boogie board. 
After an hours snorkeling at 180 feet we came on board to move from Molokini - a crescent shaped submerged volcanic crater to another location for watching Green Hawaiian Turtles at the Turtle Town.


This time I was much confident and was feeling better to go for another round of snorkeling. The crew knew that I needed their help hence Allison the life guard she helped me in fact she was nice to be with me while I started focussing on the underwater world living creatures. It was beautiful to watch those colorful fishes, star fishes, octopus and many beautiful coral reefs. As I was going through each one of them I saw this big green colored Hawaiian turtles that were swimming in their own pace and mood. The world is so beautiful inside there, as everyone is in their own space and no one is bothering anyone, even we as humans have intervened their world yet they are so peaceful.



I somehow fell in love with the underwater world where there is beauty, peace and harmony too. It was tough to make the decision to go back to the boat because at the end we all had to come back to the shore.

A unique experience for me, it was like looking through the window and you see the clear sight of beautiful world. The world where we as human were also moving around in the similar fashion as the sea creatures were, with the mask and gear breathing and floating around.

I wish we human also did the same in our own world? 

~ Dawn

No comments:

Aadujeevitham -The Goats Life

  Aadujeevitham: A Review with Breathtaking Scenery and Mixed Emotions The much-anticipated Aadujeevitham (The Goat Life) finally graced my ...