Wednesday, July 19, 2006

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

"Let us never negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate." ~ John F Kennedy
As an HR person (once upon a time), I did participated in negotiations and I was always at the management side but always came out as a winner.Many said its my people's skill ...what so ever it is but I can say that a lot of brushing did take place while I was negotiating while hiring or firing...!
“Influence may be the highest level of human skills”
This time being a Consultant in project management, it was negotiation between me and the company...! Yes, the company wanted to give me an offer, however as you know we didnegotiated! One thing I thank for my previous HR role and my Masters degree which always helped me to negotiate also I can say...the game Cricket ;) ! Yes guys, I had done some homework before attending this HR guy and hence the first googly was that I made him misunderstand me and so I was successful.

"Negotiating in the classic diplomatic sense assumes parties more anxious to agree than to disagree"

He thought I am looking more for $$$ and hence he offered me a handsome amount with benefit package, however position wise he played a little game ;)
But now for me it wasnt the money ..:D its the position and that too my hard work and years of experience that make me qualify for that senior level position...I did mention about my interest...but I was thrown to my manager to discuss.

"Grant graciously what you cannot refuse safely and conciliate those you cannot conquer"

My manager, didnt had any logical reason to give and all she said is there are people in her team who have been sitting in one position for past 5 years...lol!Gosh! this made me determined about my decision and I called HR and said if you give me that senior level then am fine to accept the offer or else......am happy even today :)
I guess that ultimatum did work for me...or should I believe in what I got from the fortune cookie...
"Your determination will bring much more success to you" :D

I feel good to see that now I am a good negotiator for myself too ;)

“the winner ain't the one with the fastest car its the one who refuses to lose” ~ Dale Earnhardt

16 comments:

Neer said...

HR??? eh?? :) hmm... definitely a negotiator! heyyy... thank you for stopping by!

Masood Ahmed said...

congrats for achieving your outcome in negotiations. Only experience could teach you the lessons in negotiation. Books are good but tactics need to be applied. Well done!!

Prash said...

Would you come to Paris and negotiate with the Gucci salesroom vendor...he refuses to give me some reduction on a t-shirt ?

wow..that's wonderful. I am totally for 'negotiation' though i am bad at it. People should sit and talk and negotiate...if at all we do, we won't have wars ...inlcuding the kashmir or middle east.

Kuan Gung said...

Great points...it's always to have them suggest your ideas are their's and to begin where there's agreement...you certainly have a great feel here...congratulations...I profess no real practical experience in this great art...

Kuan Gung said...

Some great visuals here...really great!!!

starry said...

Nice pictures and good points. am not good at negotiating.

Keshi said...

Good negotiation skills require brains and experience. I think u have got it by nature Dawny..ur a smart girl and Im so happy for ya...HUGGGGGGZ!

Keshi.

Ekta said...

I believe in order to survive in the corporate world today..u need grt networking and negotiation skills...if u have one ur half there!

kumarldh said...

hmmm
I also possess this skill
this is the reason am surviving
otherwise who will pay extra money for same work

Anand said...

Hey congrats!!
yes uv earned a fortune cookie;-)

And i agree the corporate world has become like a roadside market...u need to bargain really hard to buy anything at all!

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Congrats Lady...Smart way to get wht u wanted...:)

Anonymous said...

I need to take some negotiating lessons from you missy. I don't give into anything easily, but I just can't show what I have to offer.

Anonymous said...

I need to take some negotiating lessons from you missy. I don't give into anything easily, but I just can't show what I have to offer.

che sara sara said...

and i know tats dawn...

Sujit said...

wow! congrats!!.... yup.. determination with lead towards light!.. even though you may see a tunnel inbetween..!!

Dawn said...

neers: Yes as a HR had to fire some people as voluntary retirement scheme ;)
Thanks for reciprocating…pls come again
Cheers

masd: Thanks dear…true what one gains through self experience :D…you said it true! Cheers

prash: Wow…I consider that as an honor for that kind of invitation ;) Thanks dear…but one thing is whether it’s a sales person or any negotiator he/she has to believe in what he/she is trying to negotiate for :D…but the last one what you said is a punch line…wish all the problems were solved by negotiations n talks :D
Good thoughts indeed
Cheers

kuan gung: Thanks for appreciating them dear
Cheers

starry nights: Thanks for liking it but I think in the beginning we all feel so…but sometimes situations bring the gem out of ourselves :D
Am sure same will happen for you too ..
Cheers

keshi: Thanks dear hugggggggz
Cheers darling

ekta: You are a HR person so who else knows it better :D
Cheers

kumar chetan: Good for you dear..
Cheers

anand: Thanks dear…indeed this is the first time which was for myself n not for the company sake :D
Cheers

scribblez to wakeup: Thanks dear…keep praying for friends
Cheers

shama: I guess we all do at one or the other place…bargaining for some top or skirt….;) its just situations at different place n time :D…
Cheers babe

sophie: Hey that was a cool comment dear :D…Thanks a ton
Cheers

sujit: Very true..in this case I had given hope and same was at the management side…they thought I may not accept it…Manager was desperate as the HR guy gave the news to her only after 5 ;)
Thanks for the boost dear
cheers

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...