Sunday, October 30, 2005

Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?


I read these line a couple of weeks ago..while reading Khalil Gibran's book...

"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were"

When I read these...I felt 'wow' but as it started sinking in me...am thinking how easy it is to say or to read but can you imagine how difficult it would be to ..let them go????...you do so much for them and then...you just let them go...!! Am not saying that you keep any kind of expectation but the faith ...doesnt that gets thrashed!!???

At such times I remember what Sir Winston Churchill, had said once...

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."...at least he said what he could give..he didnt make any false promises and raised anyone's expectations!!!

Similarly, Subhash Chandra Bose- "Give me your blood and I will give you freedom"...an attempt was made for that freedom.
But when I think of a person and then sacrifice...its lingers tons of thoughts in my mind as what these great people have said and done...how tough and difficult it is.
At the same time when I think of giving away something for someone...I feel its easy probably b'coz I have done it and I keep doing it :)

"Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much" ~ Erich Fromm

And I believe what Einstein said, "Only a life lived for others is worth living." and then I feel...
"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country"

All great thoughts to keep one motivated and to go with one's life but then how easy it is to do in practical...and does that sacrifice is seen by at least that one person for whom you do??? ...its a fight between...sacrifice and not to keep expectation...but I think one must be getting hurt when they see there sacrifice is not given that worth...

I dont know these thoughts came in mind as Khalil Gibran's quotes sink in my mind and heart..!!! This picture shows the huge pine tree which reminds me of x'mas ....but I get more of strength from this tree in this picture.

Hungry not only for bread - but hungry for love.
Naked not only for clothing - but naked for human dignity and respect.
Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks - but homeless because of rejection
~ Mother Teresa

6 comments:

Keshi said...

wow words of wisdom yet again...great post Dawn!

** how difficult it would be to ..let them go????...

well I see it this way...letting go here doesnt mean just setting them free forever...it's rather like giving them enough space and freewill to do what they want without expecting too much from them in return of ur love for them...thats how I see it...


What have I done for others? Basically whatever was within my capability and capacity...I know I have never let my loved-ones down and I have done everything possible to make life easier for them...but I know I havent received much love in return from some close ppl...but I still feel special cos I can survive it with more giving..

Keshi.

Unknown said...

Even juss being there when needed widout doing anything is also a great thing ...

Value every friend and loved one, life rocks... nahi kya

FM said...

Great blog you have here.

One sher i would like to say:

Apnay liye tu subhi jeetay hain is jahan main,

Hai zindagi ka maqsad auraaun key kaam ana.

this matches with your post.

with regards
FM

PuNeEt said...

Wow this is such an amazing post… with u back in action… n Keshi back from vacation… am wearing my thinking cap again…

Ur post just takes me to another level… it’s beyond comparison…

Yes it’s indeed very difficult to sacrifice and not to keep expectation…
We all do sacrifices… but many times we feel it’s a sacrifice but it’s a forced decision by us… and many times we have expectations from it…

It’s definitely not easy to sacrifice… it needs a lot of courage…
And people who have done are really worth adoring…

Awesome post dear…

Take care

Cheers

Dawn said...

@keshi: dear it was a pleasant surprise to see ur comment that too on top ;)...!! am blessed :)
I like that way you think about giving space..and I believe that too...however..one thing keep in mind...the person you are ..coz its the kind of person you are...hence even though we are so far...we have a bond..a relation..& thats purely of love and respect for eachother :) so...u deserve all the love..those who dont ..they still have to figure out :)
cheers gal!

@bombayite: I totally agree with you...you never know how and when u do something gr8 n dear to someone...its only that person who can make out :)
you r good always..:)
cheers!

@welcome fm, its a gr8 pleasure to read the sher...chaar chaand aapne waise hee laga diye Eiid ke mauqe per...Eid mubarak ho
keep coming :)
cheers!

@jive: yours a surprise visit..:) I like it ..thnx

@puneet: hey what are you up to ...seems like someone is out to kill.;) Thank you for much appreciating my post...am blessed ;)
be happy go lucky...happy diwali

cheers!

Keshi said...

Happy Diwali to u matey!

Hey why no new posts in a long time? I really look forward to ur lovely writing...

Keshi.

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...