Friday, January 26, 2007

“Everyone has a "best friend" during each stage of life-only a precious few have the same one.”

It was like yesterday when I was talking to someone called Carol Daniel about her Zellers Credit Card, how she can benefit if she ties it with our bank CIBC ;)
Carol, for me a white woman who from the other end asks me where I am from and that she loves my English :D…!
When she came to know about India and the costumes of South Asians she got so excited and she said my husband loves Indian women and the saree too! I would love to buy one but here you don’t get it!
To this I jumped and said, well you do get sarees if you visit Gerard Street – the Indian markets in Toronto and she said well they are very expensive.
This made me think, big deal I can get it for her cheaper that too from India ;) it was the mid month of November and I thought let it be a Christmas gift from my end to her :D

“My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” ~ Henry Ford

I really don’t know what made me think so and I just said this to her without thinking! But I made sure I have her favorite color etc. She was very happy to hear but then she thought probably I am joking and so she took my number, just in case!
I went home that day and called mum and gave the details.
She did purchase and sent it across, and one fine day I meet Carol Daniel – a short lady around 4”5’ in height and her hubby Stuart Daniel 6”2’ :D
It was my first time that any stranger was invited in my house. I was not prepared for this at all…as may be I didn’t want to! I wanted to be what I am and not make any change just because for what they are!

“A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself.” ~ Jim Morrison

I had roti in my house and I had made some (aloo sabzi), potatoes vegetable and with some mango pickle I treated them with afternoon lunch! Meanwhile we had a good exchange of introductions and I made Carol wear the saree and decked her up with make up and some jewelry that will go with her saree! Her husband was so happy, in fact Carol was more touched to see how I was happily doing everything for her!

I was all alone here and hence for me it felt like I got someone whom I can trust and make friends with…and yes indeed the understanding was mutual!

“Every time I hold you I begin to understand, that everything about you tells me you're my best friend.”

For Carol I quickly made potato salad and Stuart ate the roti and aloo sabzi! He liked it so much that he asked me to pack some for his next day’s office lunch …lol!
He was a guy who ate all kinds of food – spice was not a question even though next morning he had some difficult time :D

Christmas was just 4 days away and Stuart asked me so you are going to be with your family for the Christmas and I said, I have no family here…:D, but yes I will go around and see the lights and decorations ! He was totally surprised at this and he said if what you said is true then please allow us to make you our guest for Christmas and you will come and stay with us from Dec 24th itself !

That day and after that I never felt I was alone….after my parents house I never felt so close and homely at any other place than Carol’s!

“The best things in life are never rationed. Friendship, loyalty, love, do not require coupons.”

Carol, is a person whom once loved she will love you till the end and yes she did!
Its been 1 ½ years that she left all of us for her heavenly trip! But for some reason I don’t feel that she is away or gone!
Yes its true as her love and presence is still in my heart and mind fresh as it is! She used to love green and yellow color!
I miss her often and did more when the other day I heard Elvis singing ‘are you feeling lonely’ he was her favorite singer….I have seen many crazy people, crazy fans…even I am one of the crazy person but Carol exceeded all…I could see her always with Elvis songs on CD or video, her bedroom comforter, her calendar, her t-shirt, infact even her pet dogs name is Elvis.
She was a crazy gal :D….I pay my tribute to her…and want her to know that I still love her and miss her a lot!

“You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu”

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thaz very sad. I got so excited when you said about Gerard street, saree and you meeting them.

Wonder why things go short whenw e try to learn or keep certain things to our heart.

She will be watching you as an angel and can hear your prayers for her.

Manish Kumar said...

touching post..wonderful way to recollect those moments shared with carol.

krystyna said...

Hi Dawn!
I was very touched! Smart excellent remind!
Take care and blessings!

Sunil Parashar said...

Hello Dawn!
I'm so sorry about your angel friend.
I can understand your feelings of loosing a friend, i went through same situation once.

Above all your post shows that how great person you are.!

Have a nice time.:)

Unknown said...

aiyo :(

rachana said...

Hi dawn!! what a great remembrance! such a lovely person you are! liked all the quotes but this one i loved--
"The best things in life are never rationed. Friendship, loyalty, love, do not require coupons.”

Michelle said...

a best friend never judges you :-)

Michelle said...

oh and i forgot to add, just remember, shes watching you from wherever she is...i know what ur going through

jagadeesh said...

A really touching post.

Sujit said...

great friend.. to get one.. and to be one :)

Keshi said...

so true...true friends r rare...very rare!

Keshi.

Neihal said...

“Everyone has a "best friend" during each stage of life-only a precious few have the same one"
Beautiful

Dawn said...

pria: Thanks dear for your wishes! It is sad but true too!
I miss her when I think of the moments we spent and how I cannot spend any more those moments with her…makes you feel bad! But am glad at least I have a real story to share
Cheers

manish: Thanks dear
Cheers

krystyna: Thank you for everything my dear
May God Bless you
Cheers

sunil parmar: I guess the feeling is mutual when we loose our friend. And thanks for saying so, it just shows how nice person you are!
Cheers

bombayite: Hey long time no see!
Good to see u
Cheers

rachana: Thanks love for your kind words for me :D
Cheers

michelle: Thanks so much dear
Cheers

jagadeesh: After a long time…good to see u
Cheers

sujit: Rightly said ;) thanks!
Cheers

keshi: you gotcha gal!
Cheers

neihal: Thanks dear
Cheers

We are all different. Don’t judge, understand instead!!!

This year, right from its inception, has unfolded with a profound sense of intrigue. My surroundings are bustling with noteworthy events – t...